Sunday 3 April 2011

Spiced Pecan Praline & Sayulita Sun

Spiced Pecan Praline & Sayulita Sun


This is a truly scrumptious treat, you can use sprinkle it on ice-cream, use it in cookies or as a topping for cakes, or of course, make it into truffles....
I have yet to experiment with the truffles but they are on my list, I’m hoping if successful they will grace the Sayulita Farmer’s Market‘s stand of my dear friend Ms C who upped sticks from Blighty and moved to Sayulita, Mexico a year ago with Mr P and maybe, if I smile sweetly, she might even name them after me!


So, Ms C, this is for you.....
Spiced Pecan Praline
100g caster sugar
60 pecan nuts, roughly chopped
Large pinch of mixed spice
Pinch of dried chilli flakes
Few grains of sea-salt

·         Heat a small, heavy based saucepan and sprinkle in half of the sugar, as the sugar beings to melt into clear syrup gradually add in the remaining sugar.
·         Allow the sugar to cook until it turns to a light caramel colour.
·         Add the salt, nuts & spices, stir well and cook for 1 minute.
·         Tip out onto a sheet of greaseproof/silicone paper and allow to cool.
·         When cold, break into pieces and then blitz in a food processor –it’s up to you how fine to make it, for truffles it need to be pretty fine but if you’re using it for cookies or to top ice cream you can leave it a bit chunkier.



I’ve been lucky enough to visit them in their glorious little oasis, Casa Catalina  , and, after overcoming my fear of almost everything that moved (I can’t help it, I don’t like bugs), I had an amazing time, met some wonderful people, saw the most remarkable sunsets, and was like a child in a candy store in the silver shops!











Since my visit they have extended the house and now rent out the fabulous 1 bed apartment downstairs.....check out their info on Facebook, and if you’re looking for a relaxing break that you’ll never forget.






No comments:

Post a Comment