Wednesday 30 March 2011

Honey Nut Oat Muffins

These little beauties have been adapted from a recipe a very old Good Food Magazine that was passed onto me from someone at some point, it's delightfully simple and the added bonus to this recipe is that you don’t need to use a mixer, just chuck it all in the bowl & stir.
They are divine and are best eaten warm, and go particularly well with a little butter and a slice of cheese or if you have a super sweet tooth an extra drizzle of honey instead....they will keep in an airtight tin for up to 3 days and freeze very well.


Makes 9 -12
250g plain flour
85g porridge oats
1 tablespoon (yes, tablespoon) baking powder
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
85g nuts of your choice, roughly chopped - I used ½ pecans and ½ pistachios
2 eggs, beaten
200ml milk
75ml vegetable oil
50g light muscovado sugar
5 tablespoons clear runny honey




Preheat the oven to 200°c
Grease the muffins tins well (paper cases won’t work for these) – the best greasing agent I’ve come across is Cake Release from Wilton – it never fails.
In a large bowl mix the flour, baking powder, oats, and cinnamon, nuts & salt.
In a different bowl whisk the oil, sugar, eggs, milk & honey.
Stir this into the flour mixture until just combined, don’t over mix – the mixture will be fairly runny and lumpy and in all honesty pretty unpleasant looking,  I am still coming to terms with the ‘under mixing’ of muffins, being a little bit of a ‘Monica’ I always feel the need for everything to be super neat!
Fill the muffin tins to the top; I used my trusty large cookie scoop for this.
Bake for 20mins or until they are golden brown.
Leave in the tin for a few minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I've never made muffins. I'm a bit ashamed to admit it really and I must get onto doing some asap because these look seriously good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were delicious and ridiculously easy to make...have a go!

    ReplyDelete