Vanilla Crumble Cupcakes
This recipe came about when a quick cake fix was needed, and I have to say it was a triumph.
No fancy ingredients needed, you probably have all of them in your cupboard right now (go on, have a look, I bet you have...)
It was an amalgamation of several recipes which put together makes a light vanilla sponge cake with an oaty crumble topping and finishes with a cinnamon sugar crust and goes as follows....
For the crumble topping
50g plain flour
50g Demerara or caster sugar
50g unsalted butter- diced and chilled
50g porridge oats
· Mix the flour and sugar in a bowl.
· Add the butter and rub in until you have the consistency of large, coarse breadcrumbs
· Mix in oats.
Set aside and crack on with the cake......
For the Vanilla Sponge
175g unsalted butter
175g caster sugar
3 large eggs
175 g self raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
· Preheat your oven to 180°c
· Line a 12 hole muffin/cupcake tin with paper liners
· Put all ingredients in a mixer with a whisk attachment and mix for 2-3 minutes
· Divide the mixture evenly between the cake cases.
· Sprinkle a little of the crumble topping onto each cake.
· Bake in the over for approx 15-20mins, until golden brown and springy to the touch.
For the cinnamon sugar crust....
Approx 70g hot melted butter
Small bowl of caster sugar with 1tsp of cinnamon mixed in.
While the cakes are still warm, dip the top of each cake in the melted butter and then into the cinnamon sugar.
Dipped in butter
Simple as that, job done!
Note: Any leftover crumble topping can be frozen and used straight from the freezer to top further cakes or of course, if you make a fruit crumble! Use within a month.