Thursday 17 March 2011

Melting Moments (From my Mother’s recipe book)



Melting Moments (From my Mother’s recipe book)
Hunting for something in my mother house the other day, which always proves a challenge as every nook and cranny seems to be full of something or other, I stumbled across her recipe book...needless to say the hunt stopped and I got engrossed in it, I came across a recipe for Melting Moments and memories of my childhood came flooding back, these are delicious little crumbly biscuits/cookies that melt in you mouth when you eat them - hence the name.
My mother, who is still truly alive and kicking seems to have given up cooking lately in favour of beading, so instead of asking her to bake a batch, the dog-eared, falling apart at the seams book came with me to the kitchen and these are what emerged.....




Ingredients (makes 18-20)
1 cup or porridge oats
1 teaspoon golden syrup
3 teaspoons boiling water
3 oz sugar (85g)
4 oz self-raising flour (113g)
4 oz unsalted butter (113g)
½ teaspoon baking powder
Few drops of vanilla extract.


Method
Preheat the oven to 170°c
Cream the butter and sugar with a whisk or in a mixer (or by hand, if you’re felling energetic!)
Add the syrup & boiling water and mix
Mix in the oats, flour and vanilla
Roll into small balls or use a small cookie scoop and place on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper, space them approx 3-4cm apart
If you want, pop half a glace cherry on top of each ball and push down gently (the cherries are purely optional, I used them as a retro touch in homage to my mother who wrote the recipe in the 70’s)
Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or till golden brown
Remove from the oven and leave the on the tray for a few minute to ‘set’ then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment